Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sweating for a cure

I logged in a 17 mile walk yesterday as I train myself for the Susan G. Komen 3 Day Walk for the Cure in October. I woke up at 0530 and was out the house at 0600. I immediately starting pumping the pavement. Nap sack, water, snacks and Ipod on back. I've mapped out a nice little, or should I say, long walk from my house to a park, around the park and then back home. 18.5 miles if I do it all.

5 bottles of water, 2 bottles of juice, one banana, a sandwich, a handful of carrots and two protein bars later and I could taste the cool air conditioning of my home. I was less than one half mile from home when I realized, damn its hot. Wasn't that the reason I left so early. To get home before it got hot. I guess Mother Nature had other plans.

I could see the street light on the corner that lead to my home, but my heart was beating fast and the sweat was pouring off. I might have been dizzy but I'm not entirely sure. All I kept thinking is no way was I going to have to call my hasband because of a little heat stroke or dehydration. After all, don't I fuss with him every weekend when he wants to go out side and work in the yard in the heat of day. No way was I calling him. The EMTs might, but Iwasn't. Un un, no way and you can't make me either.

I'm a nurse, I know what to do. I found a nice patch of shade, stood there for a few minutes to settle the racing heartbeat drunk some water that was warm but wet and then I gaged my distance. Two blocks up the drug store then three short blocks home. Corner meant drug store. Drug store meant drink cooler. Drink cooler meant Gatorade. Gatorade mean not EMTs. So what's that four degrees of seperation. Told ya I was smart.

I cooled myself in the blessed ac of the drug store and guzzled half of the Gatorade before setting out on the last three block trek to home. I drunk the rest as I walked. Low and behold, hubby's standing in front yard starring at me.

He says, "It's hot out, itsn't it."
No shit sherlock. But hey, I'm walking in the Susan G. Komen 3 day walk for the cure. That's 60 miles, 3 days and I'm stomping out breast cancer, one sweat drop at a time. If you'd like to follow my progress or donate you can do so at www.3dayforthecure.org. I'm the one passed out in the Rite aide with a Gatorade in one hand and a soaked napkin in the other.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what anordeal! I believe it's going to be worth it though.Good for you!

    ReplyDelete